Monday, February 28, 2011

Did you earn that?

Have you ever been instant messaging with someone, or reading an email, and noticed a spelling error?  Have you ever been in a conversation with someone and noticed something they said that was incorrect, but had nothing to do with the subject at all?  Sure.  We all have. 

When I was 14, I went to a music festival (then called Jesus Northwest, now called Creation), and listened to a public speaker that is known to be somewhat controversial.  Dr. Tony Compolo told a story that day of the massive amount of starving children in Africa, and while I was sitting there in the midst of probably the most conservative crowd alive, he said the words "Ya know, I don't think the majority of people here give a shit!"

Chins dropped.  Spines tingled.  And then he said "My point is proven.  You care more about the fact that I just said the word Shit, then you do about the massive need that exists in Africa."

I've never forgotten that moment.  I was one of them.  Bored.  Waiting for the next band to come on stage.  Then I was filled with regret.  Did I develop a huge heart for Africa that day?  No.  But my own shock to his use of the word Shit was something I said I'd never be guilty of again. 

Everyone has people that they allow to speak into their lives, whether many or few. Whether it is earned or not.  Anyone that allows me to speak in their lives, I consider a huge privilege.  A small example would be, if I'm asked, "hey John, did ya like the concert?" I'll probably say "Sure dude!"  But if I am pulled aside and asked, "John, what did you think of how we played?"  I'll give a well thought out, constructive view of what I thought...but only because I was given permission to do so. 

One of my favorite discussions in scripture is where Jesus is talking with Peter and asks him "Peter, who do people say that I am?".  Peter says "some say John the Baptist, or Elijah, or one of the prophets."  But then Jesus asks, "Who do YOU say that I am?"  And Peter says "You are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God."  And...(drum roll please) Jesus replies... "It is not flesh and blood who has made this known to you but my father in Heaven."    (Matthew chap 16)

I often question how much people let God do the talking...

I honestly do not believe that Jesus pointed out every little flaw that was out there...he had bigger purposes...like relationships with those around Him. 

Obviously the point of this post has very little to do with swearing or spelling, but has more to do with the power of listening and humility.  When I am facing the "itch to be right" I honestly try to ask myself, "Self...is it my place to correct?  Have I earned the right to speak on this issue?  What makes me think that what I have to say here is actually worth saying?  Is my opinion even being asked for?"

I truly mean it when I say...

Thanks for reading. 

John

2 comments:

  1. Carrots. A friend of mine told me about his experience with carrots growing up on a farm. His parents always told him not to pull up the carrots early despite his curiosity to see how they were growing. During harvest every year, there were a bunch of carrots that were deformed, thats what happens to carrots when you pull them up and replant.

    Good leaders and good friends know how to let things lie. Despite their curiosity to dig into the situation to see how things are coming, they intentionally and strategically leave it alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true. Especially on a Christian school campus such as the one I go to. It truely is ridiculous and the point does need to be brought up more often. I'm not saying I'm perfect because we all know I do the same exact thing, but reading this is going to make me at least try to ask the same questions to myself... if you don't mind me stealing them.

    ReplyDelete