Sunday, October 31, 2010

A night of firsts

Most people that know me will tell you that I have the ability to roll with anyone.  When I was growing up or even in the church circles, where there were cliques, I had the ability to connect with most of them even those that differed from each other.  Over the last couple of years I have come to realize that I have a tendency to keep some of those circles separated.  I actually enjoy introducing friends a lot.  But there are those circles that you "know" won't get along with each other.  For lack of a better word...I've compartmentalized them...and I hate it.

Last night for my birthday (which was earlier this week), 4 of my straight friends thought it would be fun to take me out to a gay bar.  When they first told me this idea, I was actually thrilled.  I've reached a point where I'm completely sick of feeling like I have to compartmentalize my friends, simply because I worry whether or not they will jive.  But I must admit, at first I wondered if it would actually happen.

I invited a gay couple that I love very dearly to the shin-dig as well...and I can honestly say from the word "go", we were having a fantastic time. 

The bar we ended up at had a disclaimer written all over it that one of my friends paraphrased, as "hard core gay."  Hehe...and it was.  From the pictures all over the wall, to the bathrooms that were labeled "men..and boys" we were definitely in a place that was unfamiliar territory to the 4 that were taking me.  The guys dressed up in gold and glitter for Halloween was an especially nice touch as well.

We had drinks, we had our very own DD (thanks Zach!), and I had 7 amazingly cool people hanging out with me reminding me that there really are no labels.  Gay, straight...or how about just people, friends?  And the best part was simply that no one felt awkward...everyone since last night has raved about how good of a time they had...one of my friends I will quote: "it was hella gay...and so fun!"

It may seem trivial to some.  Friends taking me out for my birthday...but as I looked around the table, seeing the mix of peeps sitting with me, it was clear there was much more happening then a birthday bash.  My two worlds came together. 

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the birthday wishes...

John

No comments:

Post a Comment