Friday, September 17, 2010

common ground

"If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." --Phil: 2:1-3

What does it mean to be like minded?  Does it mean that everyone agrees on everything?  I'm not sure that's possible. 

I am known to be a person who avoids confrontation.  Tho when I feel confrontation is unavoidable, I get right in its face.  But even in that moment, when I have decided to confront someone or something, I always find the thing we have in common first.  It not only helps the confrontation go well, sure, but it also reminds me of why the confrontation matters in the first place, as I obviously care about the results or I wouldn't be confronting at all.

What do those who are different from you, have in common with you?  Would there be enough common ground to build a bridge on? 

Does being "like-minded" mean finding the things you are like minded about?

I welcome your thoughts.

Thanks for reading...

John

No comments:

Post a Comment